Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Especially in Michigan...

As the Chili Peppers say in their song Especially in Michigan, "Cry me a future. Where the revelations run amok".

I moved back to Michigan February 2010. I had been away for 5 years. I felt a pull to Arizona, and had nothing keeping me in Michigan, had I, I may never have left. Leaving when there is something to be left behind, is not usually the most solid time to leave. However, after years of exploring the great state of Arizona, and working there and making new friends, a new home, and expanding my family, something pulled me back home. Without going into every detail as to why I left and why I needed to come home, I have to admit that something was left behind. My family. Living away from people sometimes hurts more than one can really think. It is hard to imagine what it feels like until you do it.
Sure, you are fine for awhile, and excited with the newness and the exploration ahead, but my heart strings were always connected back to a place I swore I most likely would not return. Michigan.

I missed my parents and my friends and other family, and REALLY missed my sister. I talked to my mom and my sister almost everyday, especially after the birth of my daughter, Sofia. I missed The Great Lakes (I made it a point to make sure I made it up to Traverse City when I returned, since I had never been), Cider Mills, family holidays, parties that everyone had that I only could read about on Facebook, the birth of my friend's children, day to day options of visiting people I loved, places like the Woodward Avenue Brewery, other Ferndale places, Ann Arbor, friends, family, and the beauty of my birth home in general. Don't get me wrong, my family and I experienced some wonderful things in Arizona, but sometimes if something is missing, it is missing, and nothing can fill that space, unless you grab it, and fully embracing it until that space is no longer there. Sometimes that is not in the plan, but...Tis life.

Although this song is about touring and being away from the one you love, this is a great way to express what I wrote above...


Now, I have a whole different adventure to look forward to. Michigan isn't a place where I feel I need to feel stuck. There are so many new things here. I also have a daughter to show things too. This is a place of family and friends and reconnecting with everyone and meeting new people, exploring parts of the state I have never seen, and having new adventures!

2 comments:

  1. That is a great song... I really want to leave Michigan, and I'm not too fond of my family. I know deep down in my heart that I would end up being homesick. Sometimes absence makes the heart grow fonder. I guess...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to leave too. Where do you want to go? If you are not sad about leaving family...just do it, you can always come back. If you are leaving ANYONE behind though, make sure this is the right decision. ;) Michigan is such a great place, and everywhere I have lived young people want to leave and see what is out there. It is only normal.

    ReplyDelete